Checking in after the first full week of 2018 and a busy week it was in that Monday started off the year with not 1 but 2 parkrun’s
griffeen and porterstown. I took griffeen a little easier knowing i had to do a second one completing the course in 24:37. Then i decided to leave nothing on the course in porterstown giving it my all and completing it in 23:31. As i was running two parkrun’s in one day i was happy with these times as New Years day is never one for PB’s. Just toshow a few castletown runner made porterstown we did take a selfie.
Tuesday between the rain and the wind i decided that staying in my be an idea.
Wednesday was back to tempo running and another 5k tempo run. It seemed to take a while for my heart rate to hit tempo pace but it got there in the end. It was tough than the week before but eating before the run may have been issue here.
Thursday was a nice easy 5k to shake out the cobwebs. The heartrate seems to be settling more now then the first few times. It only broke the zone with 500m or so to go.
Saturday was my second parkrun tourism of the week visiting Fairview parkrun. Very nice 3 lap parkrun. Nice and flat as well very good if looking to set a pace. Here I decided to push it moving up to 5th during the
first lap. During the second lap a made a slight misturn falling back to 7th but
slowly getting back into 5th and holding till end of the lap when i fall back to 7th. i stayed close to the the guy in front of me for most the lap but not being able to hold on a cross the line in 22:27 which is my fastest parkrun since September. After this I went onto Croke Park for an Operations Transformation Community Champions day. Some interesting stats from the day but i will post on them
another time. Before I left Croke Park I did get one photo with some of the experts from the show. Think they were more excited to get a photo with me then the other way around.
Sunday we finished off in the normal way with an LSR. This week it was 12k taking in laps of Castletown house. The pace ranging mostly from 5.30 to 5.50’s. as the time goes on getting below 5.30 would be the aim as i will need to run 4.58’s in a marathon to get my time. But was a nice crisp morning and good to see others out running as well. Moving up to 14k next week i will also be able to leave castletown and try another route.
I also decided this week as my savings plan for 2018 to save 50 cent for every km run and by my self a new suit come 2019 with the money so 41k run this week so €20.50 gone into the savings that may just get me the pocket square
Every year people talk about New Year New Me. In 2018 I wont be looking for a new me but my aim is to improve the old me in the places I can.
What I will be trying to improve in 2018 outside of running
- More core work
- Better Diet
- More work on Mindfullness
- Update the blog more
- While the above will help running if successful they are more to do with enjoying your own self and they will also give me more energy to improve on my running. Diet wise I want eat as much as possible that I have made myself and with more variety, also cut take away’s from weekly to once a month.
As for updating the blog more, I have a habit of doing very well for weeks then life pops up and gets in the way. So for 2018 I would aim to blog more. The reason is it helps my spelling and grammar but also writing stuff out can be very good for stress relief.
What I will be trying to improve in 2018 inside of running
- run a sub 20 5k more than once
- Break 3.30 for a full Marathon
- focus more on enjoying my running
- The sub 20 i know is achievable if i can focus on speed work. This is not always possible when also working on distance work. The hope is by working on speed for marathon distance some of it will work its way down to my 5k time.
Enjoy what you do and you will never work a day in your life. If you don’t enjoy something you are less likely to do it. So one item I want to work on is enjoying my running. One part of this I have started doing is running and not racing parkruns. I can also be seen skipping or jumping on parts of the course for no other reason then having the craic.
My Marathons for 2018
- Cork City
- Dublin City
- The above is the order of importance of the 3 marathons this year. Berlin is my main hope for getting the sub 3:30. Cork will be used to see how the training is going so will aim for around 3.35 in Cork. Dublin is all about doing my home marathon. In order to focus on the above I will not be doing as many races as I normally do.
My parkrun aims for 2018
- Join the 100 Club
- Get the Cow Cowl
- After my 2 New years day runs I am sitting on 72 runs. 28 in the year should be possible depending on how often I volunteering and the jobs I do.
To obtain the Cow Cowl you need to run in 20 different parkrun venues as of January 1st I have 12. The aim is to reach 20 in 2018 and to reach 30 in 2019 and make the parkrun most events list.
While i know as ED of Castletown parkrun completing the above 2 will be harder so if I hit one by the year end I will be happy.