Every year people talk about New Year New Me. In 2018 I wont be looking for a new me but my aim is to improve the old me in the places I can.
What I will be trying to improve in 2018 outside of running
- More core work
- Better Diet
- More work on Mindfullness
- Update the blog more
- While the above will help running if successful they are more to do with enjoying your own self and they will also give me more energy to improve on my running. Diet wise I want eat as much as possible that I have made myself and with more variety, also cut take away’s from weekly to once a month.
As for updating the blog more, I have a habit of doing very well for weeks then life pops up and gets in the way. So for 2018 I would aim to blog more. The reason is it helps my spelling and grammar but also writing stuff out can be very good for stress relief.
What I will be trying to improve in 2018 inside of running
- run a sub 20 5k more than once
- Break 3.30 for a full Marathon
- focus more on enjoying my running
- The sub 20 i know is achievable if i can focus on speed work. This is not always possible when also working on distance work. The hope is by working on speed for marathon distance some of it will work its way down to my 5k time.
Enjoy what you do and you will never work a day in your life. If you don’t enjoy something you are less likely to do it. So one item I want to work on is enjoying my running. One part of this I have started doing is running and not racing parkruns. I can also be seen skipping or jumping on parts of the course for no other reason then having the craic.
My Marathons for 2018
- Cork City
- Dublin City
- The above is the order of importance of the 3 marathons this year. Berlin is my main hope for getting the sub 3:30. Cork will be used to see how the training is going so will aim for around 3.35 in Cork. Dublin is all about doing my home marathon. In order to focus on the above I will not be doing as many races as I normally do.
My parkrun aims for 2018
- Join the 100 Club
- Get the Cow Cowl
- After my 2 New years day runs I am sitting on 72 runs. 28 in the year should be possible depending on how often I volunteering and the jobs I do.
To obtain the Cow Cowl you need to run in 20 different parkrun venues as of January 1st I have 12. The aim is to reach 20 in 2018 and to reach 30 in 2019 and make the parkrun most events list.
While i know as ED of Castletown parkrun completing the above 2 will be harder so if I hit one by the year end I will be happy.